Welcome to my blog!

I have often been amazed at how someone can take something of no value to anyone else and transform it into some beautiful piece of art or something that is useful and valuable. What had been discarded, lost, or forgotten takes on a new life in the hands of the craftsman that sees, not the trash that it is, but the value and potential of what it can become. My uncle has always been good at seeing the value where others cannot. He looks at a deer antlers and sees pens, stands, and jewlery. He has been crafting exquisite writing instruments, which are more a work of art than a pen, for the past five years. His pens have sold at the Thomas Kincaid & Terry Redlin Galliers, fine jewlery stores, and boutiques throughout the United States.

I have been fortunate enough that my uncle has taught me his trade. Working at the lathe I have many quite moments to reflect. It is here that God impresses upon me His procee of shaping and molding a man. God sees in me the value that He created me to have, when all I see is failure and worthlessness. He loving works in my life to take away everything that hinders me from being all that He desires. He skillfully sands and polishes until I shine with His glory. And ultimately, when He is done, I find new meaning and purpose that I have not know before.

Each time I look at one of my pens I can't help but thank God for shaping me into something beautiful! I hope you enjoy reading "Lessons from the Lathe".

Friday, March 28, 2008

God's Object Lesson

God told Jeremiah, “Go down to the potter’s house, and there I will give you my message,” (Jeremiah 18:2.) The message that God had for Jeremiah would be delivered through an object lesson of a potter working at his wheel. Through observing the way the potter handled the clay, Jeremiah would learn how God works in the lives of His people.

This year I find myself off work and on disability due to a series of unexpected health issues. During my convalescence my uncle taught me to make pens from deer antlers. While developing the skill of crafting antler pens, God gave me my own object lesson. Just as God spoke to Jeremiah through the potter’s wheel, He spoke to me through my lathe. God spoke very clearly about the process He uses to shape a man.

God desires that the lessons He teaches one individual be passed on to others. Moses, when he reminded the Children of Israel of God’s covenant in Deuteronomy 4:9, told them to remember how God delivered them from Egypt and to be sure to pass the lessons onto their children and grandchildren. Paul, writing in 1 Corinthians 10 about this period of Israel’s history told the Corinthians that these events were written down for our example. I must be faithful to share the message God has given to me.

Meditation starters:
What object lesson has God been developing in my life?
How have I used this lesson to encourage others?

2 comments:

Ted M. Gossard said...

Scott,
It was so very good to see you yesterday, and see firsthand the beautiful pens, and find out about this blog. I linked you, and look forward to reading it regularly.

upsopest said...

I have enjoyed my pen set for over a year. The quality and characteristics of my pen make an interesting conversation piece. A great way to share how GOD shapes and molds us into his final image. Not all perfect in the eye of others, but in the hand of the owner cherished.