Welcome to my blog!

I have often been amazed at how someone can take something of no value to anyone else and transform it into some beautiful piece of art or something that is useful and valuable. What had been discarded, lost, or forgotten takes on a new life in the hands of the craftsman that sees, not the trash that it is, but the value and potential of what it can become. My uncle has always been good at seeing the value where others cannot. He looks at a deer antlers and sees pens, stands, and jewlery. He has been crafting exquisite writing instruments, which are more a work of art than a pen, for the past five years. His pens have sold at the Thomas Kincaid & Terry Redlin Galliers, fine jewlery stores, and boutiques throughout the United States.

I have been fortunate enough that my uncle has taught me his trade. Working at the lathe I have many quite moments to reflect. It is here that God impresses upon me His procee of shaping and molding a man. God sees in me the value that He created me to have, when all I see is failure and worthlessness. He loving works in my life to take away everything that hinders me from being all that He desires. He skillfully sands and polishes until I shine with His glory. And ultimately, when He is done, I find new meaning and purpose that I have not know before.

Each time I look at one of my pens I can't help but thank God for shaping me into something beautiful! I hope you enjoy reading "Lessons from the Lathe".

Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Process: Seeking

The process of making an antler pen requires antlers with which to work. I live in Michigan, which is a big deer hunting state. Many of my friends and family are avid deer hunters. What do deer hunters do with all the racks that they have accumulated over their years of hunting? Some make trophy racks that will be mounted and displayed but many of the smaller ones end up in boxes stored in basements, attics, or sheds. Another source for antlers is deer farms. Deer shed their antlers every year and deer farms have a surplus of antlers that they are willing to sell. Deer processors and taxidermists are other places that have antlers available. Despite the ample supply, the antlers don’t just show up; I must seek, find, and obtain them.

That is just what God did for me. In Luke 15, Jesus tells three stories: the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the lost son. All of the stories are parables of how God searches for those who need to be found. In Luke 19:10 Jesus clearly explains His purpose for coming to earth, “For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost.”

I am so glad that God, in His mercy and grace, did not wait for me to come to find Him. When I was lost, worthless, and felt forgotten He actively sought me; just like antlers collecting dust in some forgotten location.

Meditation starters:
When have I felt lost, worthless, and forgotten?
How have I experienced God’s desire and loving pursuit in my life?

No comments: