Welcome to my blog!

I have often been amazed at how someone can take something of no value to anyone else and transform it into some beautiful piece of art or something that is useful and valuable. What had been discarded, lost, or forgotten takes on a new life in the hands of the craftsman that sees, not the trash that it is, but the value and potential of what it can become. My uncle has always been good at seeing the value where others cannot. He looks at a deer antlers and sees pens, stands, and jewlery. He has been crafting exquisite writing instruments, which are more a work of art than a pen, for the past five years. His pens have sold at the Thomas Kincaid & Terry Redlin Galliers, fine jewlery stores, and boutiques throughout the United States.

I have been fortunate enough that my uncle has taught me his trade. Working at the lathe I have many quite moments to reflect. It is here that God impresses upon me His procee of shaping and molding a man. God sees in me the value that He created me to have, when all I see is failure and worthlessness. He loving works in my life to take away everything that hinders me from being all that He desires. He skillfully sands and polishes until I shine with His glory. And ultimately, when He is done, I find new meaning and purpose that I have not know before.

Each time I look at one of my pens I can't help but thank God for shaping me into something beautiful! I hope you enjoy reading "Lessons from the Lathe".

Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Process: Shaping

Once the antler has been cut to the appropriate size, drilled, and the brass tube inserted; it is placed on the lathe. The antler is attached to a rod on the lathe by a nut that holds the pieces secure. The rod spins turning the antler very quickly. While the antler is spinning I use a cutting tool to begin to whittle it into shape. I use many different cutting tools to achieve the desired results; large blades which chip big pieces of antler, curved blades to shape, and smaller blades to refine the shape. I frequently stop and start the lathe to check the progress and continue the process until I am satisfied with the outcome. I desire to shave the antler to the appropriate size with out taking away its uniqueness.

This is the stage of Christian formation where I become the most impatient. I don’t like the pressure that is applied to hold me to the lathe. I get impatient with the starting and stopping of God’s lathe. I don’t always like what God cuts out of my life nor do I like the method that He chooses to use. In James chapter 1 we are told to “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” God uses trials to shape and mold my life into what He desires me to become. He will not stop His process until He is satisfied that I am “mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

Meditation starters:
What does God want to remove from my life so that I can be mature and complete?
Will I patiently allow God to perform His work in my life to His satisfaction?

No comments: