Welcome to my blog!

I have often been amazed at how someone can take something of no value to anyone else and transform it into some beautiful piece of art or something that is useful and valuable. What had been discarded, lost, or forgotten takes on a new life in the hands of the craftsman that sees, not the trash that it is, but the value and potential of what it can become. My uncle has always been good at seeing the value where others cannot. He looks at a deer antlers and sees pens, stands, and jewlery. He has been crafting exquisite writing instruments, which are more a work of art than a pen, for the past five years. His pens have sold at the Thomas Kincaid & Terry Redlin Galliers, fine jewlery stores, and boutiques throughout the United States.

I have been fortunate enough that my uncle has taught me his trade. Working at the lathe I have many quite moments to reflect. It is here that God impresses upon me His procee of shaping and molding a man. God sees in me the value that He created me to have, when all I see is failure and worthlessness. He loving works in my life to take away everything that hinders me from being all that He desires. He skillfully sands and polishes until I shine with His glory. And ultimately, when He is done, I find new meaning and purpose that I have not know before.

Each time I look at one of my pens I can't help but thank God for shaping me into something beautiful! I hope you enjoy reading "Lessons from the Lathe".

Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Process: Assembly, part 3

The process of assembling the pen requires pressure to join the pieces together. The center band, tip, and the twist mechanism are attached to the lower barrel. The appropriate amount of pressure must be used when inserting the twist mechanism so that the precise depth is achieved. If the point does not extend from the tip to the correct length, the lower barrel is put into the press again. This process continues until the mechanism is properly seated. The cap nut is pressed into the upper barrel and the clip and upper cap are screwed into place. The upper barrel is slid onto the lower barrel and the pen is complete.

I am reminded that in every step of spiritual formation God uses pressure to bring His children into maturity. Think about all the great men of the Bible; how did they become great? God put them through trials and struggles. It was through persecution that God caused the early church to grow. God shaped Paul into one of the greatest fathers of the early church through the struggles which he faced. In 2 Timothy 2:10-12 he reminded Timothy about his persecutions and suffering. He ends this passage by saying that “everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.” This is how God shapes a man – through persecution. He knows how much pressure and how long to apply it to achieve His desired results.

Mediation starters:
What persecutions, trials, or struggles am I facing?
How is God using these to achieve His purpose in my life?

3 comments:

Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Excellent. Brilliant. I love it. Good stuff, good stuff. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Scott,
It was so good to see you yesterday and also to get a look at those beautiful pens.

I like the thought here that God knows exactly what we need. But if we keep drawing back, God does keep working, because his goal is for us to be conformed to the image of his Son, no less.

And the point on pressure. I see it in my own life. I especially see growth or something of God's work when I'm under pressure. But without the pressure, I can be satisified with far less than God's will for us in Jesus.

Thanks!