Welcome to my blog!

I have often been amazed at how someone can take something of no value to anyone else and transform it into some beautiful piece of art or something that is useful and valuable. What had been discarded, lost, or forgotten takes on a new life in the hands of the craftsman that sees, not the trash that it is, but the value and potential of what it can become. My uncle has always been good at seeing the value where others cannot. He looks at a deer antlers and sees pens, stands, and jewlery. He has been crafting exquisite writing instruments, which are more a work of art than a pen, for the past five years. His pens have sold at the Thomas Kincaid & Terry Redlin Galliers, fine jewlery stores, and boutiques throughout the United States.

I have been fortunate enough that my uncle has taught me his trade. Working at the lathe I have many quite moments to reflect. It is here that God impresses upon me His procee of shaping and molding a man. God sees in me the value that He created me to have, when all I see is failure and worthlessness. He loving works in my life to take away everything that hinders me from being all that He desires. He skillfully sands and polishes until I shine with His glory. And ultimately, when He is done, I find new meaning and purpose that I have not know before.

Each time I look at one of my pens I can't help but thank God for shaping me into something beautiful! I hope you enjoy reading "Lessons from the Lathe".

Monday, April 14, 2008

Purpose of pen making: use

Every time I look at the inventory of pens that I have made, I experience a sense of frustration. Sitting on my desk is a case of writing instruments that look really nice. They are shiny and unique. They write really well, yet they are just sitting there. A pen can look beautiful and write well but it is of no use as long as it sits in a box. The reason I make pens is so that someone will use them. I want them to enjoy writing with it because it writes well, feels good in their hand, and because it is so unique. I want their friends to look at the pen and ask where they got it, who made it, and how they can get one.

Ephesians 2:10 says, “For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” God created us anew for a reason and purpose. He desires that we fulfill that purpose. In Romans 12:6-8, Paul talks about the way that God has gifted each of us differently and given us each a unique purpose. To each person he says, “Use the gift that God has given you.” It is His desire that we use our gifts for His purpose.

In the same way that a craftsman desires to see his handiwork be put to use, God desires that His workmanship be used for its intended purpose.

Meditation starters:
Do I know the purpose and gifting that God has for me?
Am I a useful tool in God’s hand or do I just look good sitting on the shelf?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting choice of material.

have you made pens out of any other material?

Scott said...

I have started to experiment with wood. I have had a few people say they would prefer slimmer pens. With antlers it is difficult to make a slim pen without losing all of the character of the antler.

Anonymous said...

that sounds good!

i wonder what other material could be used. i suppose just about everything has been tried...but, who knows...there may be one that no one else has thought of yet.

people throw so many things away these days...i suppose somethings could be glued together and then spun around and cut.

what do you think?

Scott said...

I find it amazing how beauty can be found almost anywhere, if you look for it. Think about it, God designed diamonds to be made out of a chunk of coal, butterflies come from caterpellars, swans from ugly ducklings! In our world if the beauty isn't evident imediately people just walk by without realizing the value of what they ignore.

Thats why I like making pens from antlers. You can't believe some of the beautiful colors that lie just beneath the surface! And they shine without adding any kind of polish. I think it is a great material to make a very distinct pen, one of a kind. As my uncle Gary always says, "I've made thousands of antler pens but have never made two exactly the same."

Search for beuaty!

Scott

Anonymous said...

and beauty out of suffering as well...and good out of something intended for evil. God is Great and Good.

i am glad to hear that you enjoy the process of spinning the antlers to see colours that lie beneath. and to see beauty in what we have. and it is nice to hear about your love for your uncle gary.

God bless you.