Welcome to my blog!

I have often been amazed at how someone can take something of no value to anyone else and transform it into some beautiful piece of art or something that is useful and valuable. What had been discarded, lost, or forgotten takes on a new life in the hands of the craftsman that sees, not the trash that it is, but the value and potential of what it can become. My uncle has always been good at seeing the value where others cannot. He looks at a deer antlers and sees pens, stands, and jewlery. He has been crafting exquisite writing instruments, which are more a work of art than a pen, for the past five years. His pens have sold at the Thomas Kincaid & Terry Redlin Galliers, fine jewlery stores, and boutiques throughout the United States.

I have been fortunate enough that my uncle has taught me his trade. Working at the lathe I have many quite moments to reflect. It is here that God impresses upon me His procee of shaping and molding a man. God sees in me the value that He created me to have, when all I see is failure and worthlessness. He loving works in my life to take away everything that hinders me from being all that He desires. He skillfully sands and polishes until I shine with His glory. And ultimately, when He is done, I find new meaning and purpose that I have not know before.

Each time I look at one of my pens I can't help but thank God for shaping me into something beautiful! I hope you enjoy reading "Lessons from the Lathe".

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Purpose of pen making: Sense of accomplishment

Why do I make pens? I find pen making to be a good diversion. I experience a sense of accomplishment working at the lathe. I receive a great deal of enjoyment and satisfaction from taking an antler, sometimes weathered and worn, and watching the beauty that comes as I chip away the exterior and shaping it into something new and beautiful; giving it a new purpose that it did not have before. All of life, with its troubles, worries and cares disappear as I lose myself in my craft. I feel such a sense of pride and satisfaction as each pen takes shape. It is extremely gratifying to have others express admiration for something that I have created.

Can you not sense that same feeling in God? In creation, as He completed each day's work, He would look at all that He created and say, “It is good.” He took pleasure in His work. And when He finished the week of creation as He made man, He looked at all He had made and said it was very good. You can almost hear His pride as He admired the work of His hands. Ephesians 2:10 says, “For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus.” I believe that God takes pride as He shapes us into new creatures. I believe He rejoices as He watches the “chips" fly as He removes the rough spots from our lives. I think all of heaven rejoices to see God’s new masterpiece take shape.

Meditation starter:
When do I experience a sense of pride and accomplishment in my life?
Do I allow God to experience a sense of pride from what He is trying to accomplish in my life?

No comments: